Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rendezvous with Ruskin

While Ruskin Bond celebrates his birthday today (May 19), Sudhakar Misra, a longtime acquaintance, shares with HP anecdotes about the celebrated author


Wait till I bid farewell to my eternal friends, said Ruskin and moved away, leaving me all curious and jealous. Unable to prolong my anxiety anymore, I peeped into his room. What I saw ensured me why he is a maestro of imagination and subtle humour. He was lighting a candle in front of an old picture of Laurel & Hardy. Acknowledging my presence and stoned look, he introduced me to his 'Gurus' praising them for being an inspiration, a constant source of entertainment and icons of his optimism.

Accompanying him to Wymberg Allen, a school in our vicinity to get Rocky, the son of Ruskin's house help Prem, admitted, assured me that he had learnt his lessons from the icon well. Being aware of Rocky's minimal exposure to numbers, I was a little jittery. Ms. Ducket, the lady principal, confirmed the child's inability to subtract. But Ruskin immediately intervened mentioning the kid to be an epitome of optimism and a positive soul. "Isn't he brilliant at adding, ma'am?" asked Ruskin to which all of us got a hearty laugh and Rocky, his admission.

Moments spent with Ruskin have always brought forward the myriad personality traits he possesses. Our small chit-chats at his main gate while I left his place became a religious habit. I remember a day 25 years ago, when he insisted on staying in bed besides Dolly, Rocky's younger sister, then six months old, who was suffering from fever. I had never seen him so adamant of` not getting up and could not help but ask, to which he sheepishly replied, "Dolly has been leaking of late and I am all soaked. I don't want to stand at the gate and let Mussoorie get a misconception." Such amusement in adversities only Ruskin can exhibit!

On his birthday today, I salute his humour, humility and innocence, qualities that make him who he is. Happy birthday, Ruskin!

(Sudhakar Misra is a resident of 14/1, Balbir Road)

0 comments: